Saturday, December 6, 2014

Scab II

I walked to a place of nothing but sinking
and more sinking, and looked to the part of the ocean
where there- besides bones- was a smattering of ships,
and thought how each was red but laced with black connotation,
and each had a name I couldn’t remember, but then, after
pondering, did. And giving no regard to the bones that, in the sun,
give protection no more, I pulled what ships I could to
the coast and stacked them high in an open field,
and sparked a flame that didn’t light immediately-
the branch was damp- and then, aided by the breeze,
grew to an intensity so bright the ocean itself, together
with the bones floating on it, seemed to scorch.
I gazed on as every ship submitted to the fire:
John and Anthony, and, regretfully, the one branded with your name.



No comments:

Post a Comment